Canadian Fallen Firefighters Memorial Weekend Info
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH
City of Ottawa Fire Services Memorial, City Hall, 110 Laurier Ave. The ceremony begins at 12:00pm. The Ottawa Fire Community Foundation invites all visiting Fire Service members to attend the annual memorial in recognition of Ottawa Fire Service members who have passed away in 2022.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH
Memorial Ride to Ottawa in Support of the CFFF The Toronto Professional Fire Fighters Celtic Society invite you to join them at the CFFF Memorial, 200 Lett Street to welcome Canadian fire fighters who have cycled from Hamilton to Ottawa as a fundraiser for the CFFF. Their estimated time of arrival at the memorial is 4:30pm.
CFFF MERCHANDISE STORE
Located in Ballroom A in the Delta Ottawa, 101 Lyon Street.
Hours of operation:
- Friday, September 8th (4:00pm – 9:00 pm)
- Saturday, September 9th (8:30 am – 7:00 pm)
- Sunday, September 10th (At the conclusion of the memorial Ceremony until 2:00 pm).
CFFF HOSPITALITY EVENT
- Located on the “Panorama” Penthouse level of the Delta from 7:30pm – 11:30 pm. Open to all family, fire service member and guests.
- Saturday, September 9th – Ceremony Briefing and Headdress Party Rehearsal – at 9:30 am.
- Located at the intersection of Lett St. and the Sir John A MacDonald Parkway on LeBreton Flats.
The following Fire Service members are encouraged to attend.
- Fire fighters who wish to learn or brush up on their parade drill. Active and retired military fire service members will review basic drill at the halt and on the march.
- Fire service flag party participants under the direction CFFF Colour Guard commander, Luigi Davoli. Please bring flags, axes, and pikes.
- Fire Service Honour Guard under direction of the parade commander and ceremony director, John Sobey (RCAF & OFS Retired), CWO (RCAF/NDFS Retired) Bruce Paradis and CWO (RCAF/NDFS) Martin Rousseau.
- Uniforms are NOT required for the rehearsal. Please dress for the weather.
- Pipers and drummers will meet under the direction of Calgary Fire Pipe Major Owen Bonnar at email@example.com for further information.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 9TH
Parliament Hill Tours and CFFF Meet and Greet. – 1:00pm – 6:00pm
- Sponsored by “Levitt Safety,” CFFF Ambassadors Céline Guerin and Mike Dunlop of the Parliament Hill Fire Prevention and Emergency Preparedness/ Prevention des Incendies et planification des mesures d’urgence. will host our firefighter and families “Meet and Greet”
- PEASE NOTE: All the visitors are required access through the new visitor welcome center (see attached picture). https://lop.parl.ca/sites/Visit/default/en_CA/HOC
- The hospitality event will take place in Room 025-B, West Block, from 1:00pm to 5:30pm/6:00pm
- Photo ID is required. To assist Parliament Hill Police, it helps to be wearing the CFFF pin which can be purchased at the CFFF store at the Delta Ottawa.
- Tours specific for CFFF participants of the West Block (New House of Commons) will be arranged for
- 1:15pm (English)
- 1:45pm (English)
- 2:15pm (English)
- 2:45pm (French or English)
- 3:15pm (English)
- 3:45pm (English).
- For further information or to reserve a tour, contact Celine by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
SATURDAY EVENING, SEPTEMBER 9TH
Pints and Pipers
- Please join us at the Royal Oak, 180 Kent St. as the pipers and drummers perform on the patio with families and fire fighters.
- Our original and long-time supporter, the Highlander Pub has closed. Their sister pub, Deacon Brodies (Elgin @Cooper Streets) welcomes the opportunity to serve families and fire fighters. There are many pubs and restaurants to visit in the Byward Market, Sparks Street and Elgin Street.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH.
CFFF Parade Muster 09:30
- The 20th Annual Canadian Fallen Firefighters Memorial Ceremony will take place at the CFFF Memorial, LeBreton Flats.
- Fire Service personnel wishing to participate in the ceremony are requested to appear in full dress uniform with medals and head dress.
- Muster point is the Garden of the Provinces and Territories Park, located on the west side of Bay Street, at Wellington, across from the National Archives of Canada Bldg., no later than 09:30.
- Remember to turn off or place on silent all electronic devices.
- Sunglasses are not to be worn.
- No white gloves except for colour and vigil party members. Cap badge shrouds are not required.
- In the event of inclement weather, departmental/service raincoats should be worn.
Participating Pipers and Drummers – A message from Calgary Fire Pipe major, Owen Bonnar.
- Pipes & Drums: mandatory practice to be held at 9:30am on Saturday September 9th, 2023.
- Please meet at the memorial site no later than 9:00am.
- Tunes for the mass Pipes & Drums march will be:
- Mari’s Wedding
- High Road to Gairloch
- Barren Rocks of Aden
- Green Hills of Tyrol
- When the Battles Over
- Balmoral Highlanders
- Scotland the Brave
- Rowan Tree
- Amazing Grace