Jobs & Recruitment
Current Job / Recruitment Postings
The FFAO will update this page with current job/recruitment postings as they become available.
If you have any questions regarding our job/recruitment postings, please Email.
FFAO POSTING: SECTION 21 COMMITTEE MEMBER
The FFAO is looking for 1 person to represent our association on the Section 21 Committee immediately.
The Ontario Fire Service Section 21 Advisory Committee (the “committee”) will advise and make recommendations to the Minister on matters relating to the occupational health and safety of all firefighters in the Province of Ontario.
The committee will achieve this objective by:
- Engaging in bipartite (employer and labour) discussions on health and safety issues within the fire sector;
- Reviewing fire service health and safety issues of provincial scope;
- Supporting the development of industry best practices; and
- Developing and maintaining guidance material for workplace parties as needed to protect workers within fire services in Ontario. This guidance material may outline recommended best practices and acceptable standards to be used by workers in the fire service to prevent injury or illness and will comply with the intent and provisions outlined in the Occupational Health and Safety Act and related regulations.
The committee will review occupational health and safety issues related to firefighters that have provincial impact.
As the committee’s focus is on occupational health and safety issues, its mandate will not address or intervene in:
- Situations or issues related to ongoing investigations, legal proceedings or a specific MOL inspection of a workplace.
- Issues related to the administration of fire service workplaces normally under the mandate of other ministries or municipalities (e.g. funding, provision of services or programs, human resources, etc.).
- Labour relations or employment standards issues (e.g. hours of work, overtime, leaves of absence, labour-management relationships, collective agreements, etc.).
- Issues covered by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997 or addressed by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB).
- Resources to the committee will:
- Attend meetings and provide input but have no voice in the consensus process.
- Act as technical resources to the committee to ensure that the committee’s recommendations or guidance material align with legislation administered by their respective Ministry.
- Provide information or clarification on issues that may directly impact or pertain to their respective Ministry.
FREQUENCY OF MEETINGS:
Regular meetings of the Section 21 Committee will be on a quarterly basis. Any proposed additional meetings must be pre-approved by the Ministry of Labour.
REMUNERATION AND EXPENSES:
Per subsection 21(2) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, appointed members may be paid such remuneration and expenses as may be from time to time fixed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council.
Approved alternates and members of task forces and/or technical committees are entitled to be paid the same remuneration and expenses as appointed members.
If you are interested in this position, submit your name in writing to FFAO President Kevin McNeilly at email@example.com by FEBRUARY 14TH, 2020.
We are pleased to provide a Job/Recruitment posting page on our website to promote opportunities within the fire service in Ontario that benefit our membership.
For full-time firefighter and fire service administration positions with a municipality, city or firefighter organization, we will share the post on the FFAO website for a 6 week duration. The fee is $75.00.
For volunteer firefighter recruitment, the basis of our association, we will post recruitment dates and details free of charge.